Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation seeks a full time controller responsible for managing all general accounting functions and related reporting.
The controller is responsible for maintaining financial integrity for all transactions within the Foundationís accounting system as well as enhancing and developing new functions as necessary for the foundation and its supporting organizations (Foundation for Community Health and BTCF Resources). The controller keeps current with upgrades in financial software and other available enhancements and implements new processes to improve efficiencies. The controller administers payroll and benefits and keeps current with state and federal regulations and all associated filing requirements. The controller will join a small, lively and cooperative team of professionals, dedicated to a high level of performance and service.
The controller reports to the vice president of finance and administration and supervises one finance associate.
Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation: Berkshire Taconicís mission is to build stronger communities and a better quality of life for all residents in Berkshire County, MA, Columbia County, NY, northeast Dutchess County, NY and northwest Litchfield County, CT.
Since 1987, Berkshire Taconic has managed a growing collection of charitable funds created by individuals, families and businesses. Each year, the foundation distributes over $7 million through grants and scholarships for programs in the arts, education, health and human services and environmental protection, helping thousands of donors achieve their philanthropic goals and hundreds of nonprofits carry on their good work. Berkshire Taconic is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit public charity, governed by a dedicated Board of Directors and managed by an experienced professional staff.
The culture of the Foundation is one of high performance, transparency and flexibility. The staff all participates in some form of professional development on an ongoing basis and works cooperatively as a team, respectful of each other, the volunteer board that guides our work and the donors and nonprofits with whom we work.
This job will include, but is not limited to, the following tasks:
Cash and Financial Management:
- Approve weekly report for cash flow and fund transfers
- Oversee processes including gift entry, accounts payable, disbursements, pledges, adjustments and reconciliations ensuring all procedures are documented for Berkshire Taconic and supporting organizations
- Oversee checking accounts and approve deposits
- Respond to fund advisorsí financial questions as needed
- Prepare materials for Berkshire Taconic and Foundation for Community Health finance committee meetings
- Prepare financial reports as needed but at least quarterly, including statement of financial position, statement of financial activities, budget, cash flow reports, asset and liability account reconciliations and verify subsidiary module compliance for the Foundation and supporting organizations
- Provide accurate quarterly fund statements on a timely basis
- Provide and coordinate accurate reports for the auditors and act as liaison during the audit for Berkshire Taconic and its two supporting organizations
- Prepare MA, CT and NY Annual Reports for Berkshire Taconic and BTCF Resources
- Oversee and complete all surveys
- Prepare fund account confirmations for Agency Funds as requested by audit firms
- Prepare monthly Dashboard and investment reports for website and donor portal
Fund and Grant Management:
- Responsible for coding new funds, changes to funds and closing funds
- Track low balance funds and coordinate actions with program and philanthropic services departments
- Calculate and manage spending policy process
- Calculate and manage administrative fee process
- Provide financial data to staff as requested
- Reconcile investment accounts on a monthly basis from managers, custodial bank and investment consultant
- Coordinate custodial bank activities and transfer/from investment managers
- Provide updates to investment related reports including investment committee and manager listings, Historic Overview, Quarterly Update, Investment Option forms and others as needed
- Complete quarterly Investment Survey
- Manage all aspects of payroll (currently utilize Checkwriters) and benefits including but not limited to 403B plan, health and dental insurance, and medical 125 plans for Berkshire Taconic and Foundation for Community Health
- Responsible for maintaining personnel files assuring regulatory compliance
- Review office-related equipment contracts and purchases to ensure appropriate accounting
- Responsible for maintaining foundationís insurance policies
- Other duties, as assigned
Assistance to Vice President of Finance and Administration:
- Assist the vice president of finance and administration with special projects and other duties as assigned
Applicants for this position should have the following minimum qualifications:
- Innate understanding of numeric problem solving
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Mastery of computerized spreadsheets and accounting software
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- Ability to work successfully as part of a team as well as assume independent responsibility
- Respect for accuracy and detail
- Commitment to confidentiality, high standards, and professional development
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum of 5 years nonprofit accounting and finance experience or equivalent
- Supervisory experience
- Experience preparing and supporting annual audits
- Experience administering payroll and benefits
- Familiarity with investment reporting
Minimum Bachelor of Arts degree
Salary is $55,000. Benefits include health insurance, contribution to retirement plan, life and disability coverage, vacation and sick leave
Please submit a letter of interest for the particular position and a resume to: email@example.com
Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.