Berkshire Taconic established the South Berkshire County Fund in 2005 to improve the quality of life for its residents. The fund serves as a permanent resource for nonprofits and schools, with a focus on addressing disparities in educational and economic opportunities and boosting the social, economic, mental and physical well-being of vulnerable residents.
The South Berkshire County Fund supports strategic initiatives that can have a lasting impact on its communities. The fund currently works in partnership with select grantees to support a proven early childhood program, help youth make a successful transition from school to work and relieve pandemic-related stresses among school staff. A new grants program, “Better Together,” is funding new or existing projects and programs that support positive mental health and wellness for residents.
Total amount of grantmaking since 2005
Total number of grants since 2005
Read about the fund’s grantmaking guidelines and how to apply.
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Staff appreciation and wellness, $16,625
- Community Health Programs, Parent-Child Home program, $35,000
- Elizabeth Freeman Center, Clinical support options, $2,500
- Farmington River Regional School District, Staff appreciation and wellness, $1,530
- Greenagers, Pathways to the Trades program, $10,000
- Lee Public Schools, Staff appreciation and wellness, $9,755
- Lenox Public Schools, Staff appreciation and wellness, $10,710
- MassHires, Career readiness project, $20,000
- Railroad Street Youth Project, Career readiness project, $30,000
- Richmond Consolidated School, Staff appreciation and wellness, $2,170
- Southern Berkshire Regional School District, Staff appreciation and wellness, $9,210
“When we come together to meet the mental health needs of our staff, I believe that we get natural byproducts of physical and psychological wellness.”
- Michael Richard, Lee Public Schools
Ellen Boyd, West Stockbridge, Chair
Barbara Bonner, Housatonic
Peter Dillon, Great Barrington
Matthew King, Sandisfield
Charles Leach, Lee
Robin McGraw, Sheffield
Bob Norris, Great Barrington
Sarah Steven, Sheffield
Donate to the South Berkshire County Fund
Make a secure online gift to the South Berkshire County Fund on our donate page.
Are you 70 ½ years old or older? A qualifying charitable distribution (QCD) allows you to donate up to $100,000 per year to the South Berkshire County Fund (or any eligible charitable organization) directly from your IRA and exclude it from your income. Please email our Philanthropic Services team at PS@BerkshireTaconic.org to learn more.
Double the size of your gift! Many employers offer matching gift programs, allowing you to double the amount you give just by filling out a simple form. Check with your employer to learn more. Berkshire Taconic’s tax ID # is 06-125-4469.