The William J. and Margery S. Barrett Fund was established in 1995 to strengthen the communities of Adams, Cheshire and Savoy by improving education, health and quality of life. Local teacher and accomplished photographer Margery Barrett used a planned gift to start the fund and support the towns she cared about most.
The fund supports elder services, arts programs, after school activities, environmental protection and a wide variety of community education programs. It also offers a public service award to celebrate individuals who make a significant contribution to the well-being of these towns through paid or volunteer work.
Total amount of grantmaking since 1995
Total number of grants since 1995
Read about the fund's grantmaking guidelines and how to nominate someone for a public service award.
- Arts in Recovery for Youth, Spring project, $5,000
- BART Charter Public School, BART Presents: Javier Zamora, $4,000
- Berkshire Community Action Council, Elf program, summer children's adventure program, $5,000
- Berkshire Nursing Families, Lactation support project, $19,000
- Child Care of The Berkshires, Targeted family engagement and support, $6,000
- Community Health Programs, Creating access to dental care, $25,000
- Elizabeth Freeman Center, Berkshire Violence Prevention Program, $11,000
- Louison House, Housing stability support program, $7,000
- MASS MoCA, Art education at MASS MoCA, $2,410
- Tamarack Hollow Nature and Cultural Center, Nature and cultural education opportunities for adults, youth and educators, $4,000
“We provided warm clothing, boots, hats and mittens to many families. Without this funding, we would not be able to increase the number of children we serve.”
- Aleta Moncecchi, Berkshire Community Action Council
Dawn Canales, Cheshire, Chair
Dianne Cutillo, Adams
Gwen DeBlois, Savoy
Laura Dumouchel, Adams
Donate to the Fund
Make a secure online gift to the William J. and Margery S. Barrett Fund on our donate page.
Are you 70 ½ years old or older? A qualifying charitable distribution (QCD) allows you to donate up to $100,000 per year to the William J. and Margery S. Barrett Fund (or any eligible charitable organization) directly from your IRA and exclude it from your income. Please email our Philanthropic Services team at PS@BerkshireTaconic.org to learn more.
Double the size of your gift! Many employers offer matching gift programs, allowing you to double the amount you give just by filling out a simple form. Check with your employer to learn more. Berkshire Taconic’s tax ID # is 06-125-4469.